Sunday, January 09, 2011

How do I get the Greek New Testament on my Android Device?

It's the kind of question that you might see on a techie blog, like Mark Hoffman's Bible Studies and Technological Tools and it is the kind of question that could hardly have been less interesting to me until this week.  But this week I finally entered the twenty-first century and got myself a smartphone.  As a committed Logos user, I did know that they did not yet have anything for Android devices, though something is planned but what was I to do in the mean time?

Mark Hoffman's post Bible Software for Android came just in the nick of time. The place to go is Olive Tree Bible Software.  I must admit that I hadn't visited Olive Tree for years.  But they are the place to go if you have an Android phone.  It's pretty straightforward.  I just went to market place on my phone, looked for Olive Tree, found their "KJV Bible Reader", downloaded it and then went, within Olive Tree, to "Browse Online Book Store".

Now here's the trick.  It's easy to think that the only option is to pay $35.99 for a Greek NT (NA27), and I couldn't find any other option in the "Bibles" section or in the "Greek and Hebrew" section.  But I knew that Olive Tree had the SBL Greek New Testament because Mark Hoffman had told me so.  And the place to look is in "Free Books".  It takes seconds to download, and is just the kind of thing you want on your phone, i.e. when you are on the go.  Back in the study, there are the books and there is Logos.  But Olive Tree's reader and the SBL Greek NT is just what I wanted when out and about.

12 comments:

Mike Aubrey said...

Hi Mark,

Logos is working on an Android App:

http://www.logos.com/mobile/android

Mark Goodacre said...

I know -- I can't wait! Cheers.

Christina Fry said...

Lately, I've been using the Blue Letter Bible app for iPhone. It was (mercifully) free and you can download multiple versions, according to your needs. They have the Greek, Latin, Hebrew and English and it's possible to view more than one version at once, for all your "I wonder how this was rendered in the Vulgate" type questions.

A Google search reveals that it may also be available or Android devices.

Mark D Letteney said...

This makes life so much easier- thanks Dr. Goodacre!

Central Christian College of the Bible said...

Browse to library.logos.com on your phone. Log in with your Logos ID. I think you'll like what's waiting for you there.

Mark Goodacre said...

Thanks for the tip, Christina. I wasn't aware of this until now.

Thanks, MD.

Can't get signed in to Logos on my phone -- multiple attempts with my usual email + password are not doing the trick.

Ben Griffith said...

Thanks for pointing this out Mark. I have been looking for a way to have a Greek NT on my iPhone for some time and the Free SBL edition can be obtained for an iPhone as well.

Doug said...

One thing I like about Olive Tree, when I switched in 2009 to an iPhone, and downloaded Biblereader, they simply let me transfer the Bibles I'd bought previously for my Palm, with no extra costs

Mark Goodacre said...

That's interesting to hear, Doug.

EEE said...

Hello look at there:

http://grbiblos.blogspot.com

http://www.greekbiblos.gr

Unknown said...

Thank you!
On olivetree app i put the greek on the left and english on the right, and adjusted the text sizes so that they match. The app automatically scrolls them together. End result: a free interlinear bible on my android tablet!

Sam Fernando

Unknown said...

Thank you!
On olivetree app i put the greek on the left and english on the right, and adjusted the text sizes so that they match. The app automatically scrolls them together. End result: a free interlinear bible on my android tablet!

Sam Fernando